Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Heat

It is hot. Clothes sticking to your sticky, sweaty skin hot.

Today we had a high of 36C - the highest since 1962, so the rumour is. Everyone is talking about it.

I love it. Four awful Michigan winters eventually replaced with the unbelievable feeling of spring slowly coming back to life have given me new, awakened senses, much more in tune with the air around me than I ever was before. I love how alive my skin feels in this heat.

But some things are that much more difficult in the heat. Sleeping, for one. Lying, limbs spread out on your sheets, windows and curtains flung wide. Hopeless. Also, teaching. "Miss Bell, don't you feel like you're melting?! I think I'm melting!", better than the glassy-eyed glaze that over takes most. At least melting they're still responsive.

Some days I remember it's good to be alive.

2 comments:

  1. haha oh beks, sounds like here!! ugh..splayed limbs waiting for the slightest breeze sounds quite familiar haha. most days i do indeed feel like i'm melting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had the hottest day since 1962...we just had our first snow! augh! it's not even November yet!

    ReplyDelete