Sunday, September 25, 2011

Here goes

So, a little known secret: I have always wanted a blog. Actually, I’ve kind of had three already. Well, almost three. Way back in the day, I tried a family blog when I was in the States and the rest of my family was in Zim. We were all supposed to contribute to it and keep ourselves and all the rest of our friends and family, on both sides of the equator, updated. I don’t think we had one post.

Then I decided to try another collaborative one with various friends who didn’t know each other (but all knew me) and we were supposed to all write a blog about great, important, soul-touching topics that we were all encountering in college and other places. Yah, no posts there either.

My most successful blogging endeavor was with a group of Calvin friends. I started this blog after we all graduated and left for wonderful and different parts of the globe. The blog was called “Patchwork Eats” and the idea was for all of us to regularly post recipes and stories about posted recipes from the different places we were eating. Good idea, hey? I thought so, and it started off well, but this most successful collaborative blog was 7 posts – 4 of them mine – last one 18 September, 2010.

So, I gave up my dream of ever being a blogger. But sometimes late at night the idea still haunted me. And then I started reading Nard Choi’s blog and I was both thrilled, inspired and terrified by the possibility. So even though I know I can never write like Nard and I fear failing with yet another another blog attempt, her commitment to writing and to honestly exploring and recording life through her words makes me want to try too.

And recently that dream that I buried with my recipe for Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie has started to sneak up on me in the day time when I’m not prepared, and I've been composing blog posts in my mind.

So here goes. A blog. By Rebekah Bell.

The goal: at least one post per week (barring extended travel/work in remote areas, a terrorist attack on Harare, major injury to my right hand, or city-wide power cuts by the Harare city council – just covering my bases) for one year (got to push for some sort of goal).

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

  1. haha should I feel guilty in partly being responsible for the failure of the recipe blog? hehe...woops. this is exciting though!! i'm pumped to read this more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore a DCS camp shirt to bed last night. I thought of you, and I missed you. I want to apologize for being part of your second blog effort that died, but I fully support you having your own blog!

    ReplyDelete