Monday, September 29, 2014

A reminder to myself: why I'm here

Today I was reminded why I’m here, at this school. I had forgotten. I’ve always known I will not be here forever; and not even these things will keep me here that long. But I am here now. And now I must remember why.

To clarify:
I am not here for the money. I am deeply grateful for a job that pays well in a country where unemployment is vast, but, let’s be honest, I could move across town for a better paying position.
I am not here for the movement upwards. In Zimbabwean education? Don’t make me laugh.
I am not here for the stability. Four Heads in five years and a departmental crisis every 10 months, I don’t think so.
I am not here for the recognition of how much I do. It just ain’t gonna happen.

I am here to teach:
grammar and spelling,
literature and characterisation,
punctuation and figures of speech,
but also,
how to express thoughts, clearly and well;
to speak up;
to own opinions;
to be brave;
to listen to and accept the thoughts and opinions of others;
to believe, in possibility, self, and hope.
Among other things.

I am here to listen:
to hear truth and lies
--spoken and unspoken--
and to accept that both might be necessary at different times;
to hear stories of pain and joy,
and to feel and carry the weight of both.

I am here to challenge:
students and structures,
values and words,
systems and ideas.

I am here to build and inspire:
people,
stories,
ideas,
hope.

I am here to see:
the potential;
the spark in a timid eye;
the courage/hope/confidence that needs blowing on;
the dark circles that tell stories of long nights;
the heart that wants to be heard;
the pain under the laughter.

I am here to be a safe place:
to provide freedom
to be
and say
and do
whatever might be necessary,
today.

I am here to accept:
whoever comes in and
whoever goes out,
and to protect that right to be.

I am here to make better:
everything I can,
however I can,
one small,
painful
step at a time.


Basically, I am here
to care.

That is why I am here. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment