Sunday, November 6, 2011

Six-word memoirs

Someone once challenged Hemmingway to write a short story in six words. So he did:
“For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.”

In 2006 Smith magazine challenged their readers to write their own six-word memoirs.

In October I challenged my L6s (17 year olds) to write their own six-word memoirs along with the back story. The back stories stayed private, I was the only one to read them, but the six words were all put into a powerpoint for our final lesson. The memoirs they wrote ranged from funny to thoughtful to heart-breaking. It is amazing how much you can put into six words and I feel privileged that they shared these stories with me – some deeply personal. Some of the things that they bring with them and have to go home to, that they hide behind hard work and good-natured smiles, that they have to cope with and still be expected to hand in homework and study for exams, are unbelievable.

Here are some:

“Experiences,” names given to our mistakes. --Jo
Newspaper Classifieds – Urgently needed: Braille Instructor --Ru
Can’t love what you didn’t have… --Sa
Love is patient. Love is kind. --De
Pink cozzies don’t make it better. --Se
High School Musical is a movie. --Ki
Blow out your candle – never mind… --Ch
Natural Selection: Survival of the fittest. --Pr
A little firefly glowing in darkness. --Ru
I swim because I want to. --Ni
Muffins, Best Friend and Worst Enemy. --Sh
Laugh out loud, let it rip. --Ta
Life. What it has to offer. --Ku
Friends all made it, I didn’t. --Ru
Best Friends Forever. Forever… CUT SHORT! --Me
My teacher made me do this. --Ch
Dearest God: Bring Daddy Back… Please! --Li
Darkness isn’t what I’m afraid of. --Ca
Wanted: That elusive place called home. --Miss Bell

4 comments: