Friday, December 21, 2012

America the Beautiful

It’s been two and a half years since I left this place. And I have loved moving back to Zimbabwe as an adult and starting a life as a working professional back at home. However, since coming to the States last week for an important wedding I have realized that there are some wonderful things about this country. Things that I appreciate a great deal.

1. Bagels and Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Wow. Such a simple combination of bread and dairy but there is nothing simple about these two. I have missed you, bagel and cream cheese.

2. Highways. Oh the joy of driving down a wide, well-kept road at high speeds. Crossing distances safely and swiftly. I am driving on one right now and preparing to post this blog post online from my bus seat. Yes, my bus has wifi. Did I mention wifi?

3. Free high speed internet. Within my first 5 fours in the country I was sitting in MacDonalds skyping my family. Connection fee? One small fries, thank you.

4. Shops with sales and second hand stores. Oh how I and my wardrobe have missed 50% off sales and clearance racks. Yesterday my sister and I found a coat originally for $50 for $4.98. It didn’t fit either of us (we tried) but we bought it anyway and donated it to the store’s clothing drive.

5. Deep conversations about things that matter. Okay, we get these in Zimbabwe, but somehow I tend to have them more in the US.

6. Variety – in people, things and food.

7. The ease of life. Go out and buy a coat. Get to anywhere in a new town using google maps and a GPS. Plan a meal and go out and buy everything you need for it.

8. Good coffee almost anywhere.


And, yet, there are things that I have not missed that also came crashing back very soon after touching down.

1. The feeling that, even though my outside and passport fits in here more than they sometimes do at home, I am a stranger here and that feeling of not quite belonging in large groups of Americans is uncomfortable and sometimes hard to deal with.

2. The way I can’t help my voice changing, ever so subtly, so that people can understand my accent a bit easier. My t’s become d’s, my r’s a little thicker.

3. The way it is so easy to spend money here.

4. Too much choice! That’s another reason my commitment to clearance racks (and vegetarianism!) is so handy.

5. Waste. Of food, space, money and the blindness to it.

6. Bad tea almost everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment