Thursday, October 18, 2012

Dear student, as you leave my class


Dear student, as you leave my class,
allow me to share
some advice and some hopes, I have,
for you.

Don’t leave the words
and their power
Here
As you go
There.
Don’t be so fast to walk away from them,
from it.

I hope for you

that poetry continues to
confuse and delight
with ideas that
challenge and frighten
lift and flood
you.

that stories give you eyes
into spaces you cannotwillnot go,
and force you outside and into parts
of yourself,
of places you are safe.

that characters make you weep
and exalt
and want to be more
than you were before you met them.


I hope for you

--all your life--
that words
make you laugh and cry,
take you to depths and heights of
love, and joy, and pain.
make you wonder
with eyes wide open.

make you better.

Because they are so much bigger than
that exam you’re taking
that essay you failed
Because they will
--if you let them, dear student,--

set fire to your world.


Miss Bell, October 2012

3 comments: