Monday, December 19, 2011

London Glimpses

I have been here almost two weeks and although I feel that might make me even less of an expret than someone who has never been here, but I thought I'd share a few things I've seen, glimpsed, in the last 10 days anyway.

1. Although in this city you can find people dressed in absolutely anything and ranging from designer clothes to very worn, second hand ones, I always feel underdressed and like I really should wear more makeup than I ordinarily would just to feel okay. Its a daily mind battle to convince myself not to give in to the social pressure to throw on every vaguely fashionable piece of clothing or accessorie I own to try to measure up.

2. Londoners are remarkably friendly and helpful. The few interactions I have had with strangers - socially and as a customer - have been very pleasant; not at all the brusque, stiff upper lip treatment that is stereotypically expected of the British.

3. Saw 2 little boys, about six, happily pulling the middle finger at the car behind their bus. Their huge, innocent grins suggested that they merely knew that they would achieve some sort of strong reaction and I'd like to think they did not know what they were doing but even if so, how sad that they already know this sign and its implications.

4. We watched a fascinating scene between two drivers. A very fancy white car crossed on-coming traffic in order to enter a side road. Although I don't think it was dangerous, the on-coming driver of a delivery truck had to slow down somewhat and leant on his horn (do I say horn or hooter or beeper as a Zimbabwean? my lexicon is confused!) as he approached the fancy car. Well. Fancy-driver stopped his car in the middle of the road, got out and shouted abuse at the "arrogant ***", saying he could "SIT THERE ALL NIGHT". I was waiting for the delivery driver to get out and for a full blown, perhaps physical, fight to begin. And yet delivery driver just sat in his car while fancy-driver rained anger on him. After a moment, fancy-driver got back in his car and delivery-driver skirted around him on the pavement. It was fascinating. I am confused about the delivery-drivers lack of reaction, especially given his hooting in the first place. Power issues at play? Class even? Very interesting.

5. Christmas is different here. As in the States, consumerism still rules and there is lots of pressure and chance to spendspendspend! But the endless Christmas jingles that plague you ceaselessly are not here. Christmas music, yes, but much less Santa Claus, reindeer and elves. Its nice.

6. There are whole vegetarian rows in the supermarkets here! So wonderful. And although the restaurant menus I have looked at still only have a couple vegetarian options, they are marked with a V, so we're on the radar here. In Zimbabwe you might get a salad or a cheese sandwich. If you're lucky. Also, there are 7 recycling categories... what a place! I would move here except it rains in winter and I can't imagine living some where it rains in winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment